“Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” is a brand slogan, if I’ve ever heard one!
In today's episode, I welcome my first guest on Marketing Muckraking, Jeff Harry.
Jeff Harry is an international keynote speaker and a workplace play consultant; he helps companies to promote a culture of psychological safety. He also speaks and creates comedy about how positive psychology and play can heal workplaces — — and he’s a damn good follow on TikTok. Go check him out.
Join me, your host, Rachael Kay Albers, and the hilarious and insightful Jeff Harry for a fast paced conversation on what might be the greatest grift in history, the United States of America.
Jeff and I chat about:
- Why we’re so fascinated with scam shows like Inventing Anna and The Tinder Swindler (both still #1 globally on Netflix when we recorded this) and why we celebrate the real-life pretenders they’re based on
- The real reason why Silicon Valley hates Elizabeth Holmes while The Tinder Swindler manages to score a Hollywood agent?!
- Fake-it-til-you-make-it as a national ethos: is the American dream just a cheap ripoff of “The Emperor’s New Clothes”?
- Why anyone who cites Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill as their favorite business book should immediately be cut from your Rolodex
- The little known story of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs aka how white people ruin everything only to turn it into an MLM
- The branding of WWIII and what it means about the 3 trillion dollar long con that was the Iraq war
We mention in this episode:
- What our obsession with Inventing Anna tells us about the age of the personal brand - my op-ed in The Week
- Why Ken & Karen are so angry by Jeff Harry
- Follow Jeff Harry on Instagram
- Read Jeff Harry's essays on Medium
About the Marketing Muckraking podcast
Welcome to Marketing Muckraking, the show that asks not simply what brand culture can do for us, but what it’s doing to us — with your host, creative director, brand strategist gone wild, and the court jester of online business, Rachael Kay Albers — making fun of business and making business fun.
This is the show for rebels, revolutionaries, and renegades who run businesses that burn the rulebook. If you’re sick of business podcasts with all the answers — I’ve got nothing but questions.
Where we swap B School for FREE SCHOOL, easy for honest, and goal digging for marketing in pursuit of meaning.
If you love the show and want to support more marketing muckraking, please subscribe, review, share with your enemies, and if you really want to make my day, you can go to BuyMeARobe.com and leave a little something on the nightstand.
I have no freebie to tempt you with.
No automated email sequence to whisper sweet nothings into your inbox late at night.
Here’s what I do have: a hilarious show on how to market with integrity, sell your services & products successfully, and still not take yourself too seriously. Join me here: